AYURVEDA FOR PCOS
PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. This is a condition which involves hormonal imbalance and can cause a variety of complications. According to Ayurveda, it is a result of excessive kapha dosha. Depending on the body type of the woman, it can affect everyone differently. PCOS can affect fertility in some cases as well. This makes it important to diagnose and manage it. Ayurveda has a number of therapies which can help soothe the symptoms. Virechana, Shirodhara and Basti can help to provide relief. In addition to this, panchakarma done under the supervision of a skilled ayurvedic doctor can also help manage the illness.
In addition to Ayurvedic treatments, it is important to follow a rigid diet and exercise regimen as well. This will help maintain a healthy body weight and regulate hormonal fluctuations. Below is a list of ayurvedic practices and tips to manage PCOS.
- Start every morning with a glass of warm water with lemon and honey. This soothes the gut. According to Ayurveda, a healthy gut means a healthy body, making this a very important step in treating most illnesses.
- Avoiding caffeine helps alleviate symptoms of PCOS. Try an ayurvedic tea
- Eat an early breakfast with light, airy, kapha balancing foods.
- Herbal tea with a spoon of ginger juice is a great choice for a healthy drink during the day.
- Nuts and seeds provide required fats and are extremely healthy.
- Avoiding sugar is good for the body and will drastically improve digestive, cardiac and mental function.
- Practice yoga for at least half an hour each day. This is a great way to stay active and get the required daily physical activity.
- Incorporate ayurvedic herbs and spices such as turmeric, ginger, fennel seeds, cinnamon and cumin into your cooking. These help to regulate the menstrual cycle.
- Triphala is an ayurvedic medicine which has a number of health benefits. It is a good ayurvedic formulation for managing PCOS.
- Regular steaming and massage with medicated ayurvedic oils can also help.
- Avoid dairy as this will worsen the symptoms of PCOS.
- Ashwagandha powder is another great ayurvedic remedy to manage the illness.
- Pranayama can also help ease the symptoms and promote better health overall.
When dealing with PCOS, it is important to consult an ayurvedic doctor. This is because treating it requires drastic change to diet and lifestyle. This can be quite daunting, however, the positive effects will provide great long term relief. When adding ayurvedic medicines to your routine, it is best to take input from experienced Ayurvedic practitioners for the best results.