BREATHE EASY WITH AYURVEDA
A healthy diet and lifestyle are essentials for maintaining proper lung function. An inappropriate diet, or sedentary lifestyle can negatively affect respiration in a variety of ways. In light of the global pandemic, it has become absolutely essential to follow healthy practices which bolster overall body immunity and promote respiratory health in particular. Ayurveda deals with holistic healing from the inside out and offers a variety of healing methods and herbal medicines which can protect the lungs from harmful effects.
- Cardamom is an invigorating spice which can improve digestive fire or agni and simultaneously work to help better respiration.
- Pranayama or the practice of mindful breathing is prescribed in Ayurveda as the best way to improve lung health. Regular pranayama has been proven to improve oxygen absorption by the body and help with immunity.
- Eucalyptus is another powerful ayurvedic herb which is used in many herbal formulations to treat the lungs. It is a powerful antioxidant and also helps clear the nasal passageways and drain any accumulated phlegm in the sinuses.
- Yoga is absolutely essential in daily life. This is because it provides much needed physical activity to the sedentary lifestyle most of us have. Regular yoga activates lung function, promotes better cardiac health and even improves digestion. Physical activity, according to Ayurveda, is important in maintaining good health.
- Licorice is a soothing herb which can be made into a decoction or tea. This soothes the throat and prevents throat related infection. It helps with better respiration and congestion free lungs.
- Panchakarma treatment is a great way to reset the respiratory system and purge all harmful toxins and impurities. It makes breathing easier, clears the lungs and helps with a strong digestive system as well. Panchakarma can be done in a safe, scaled-down version at home. However, the best way to undergo panchakarma is at an ayurvedic clinic under the observation of an ayurvedic doctor.
- Consumption of more sweet, sour and salty tastes is essential to pacify vata when the cold, dry season sets in, making people prone to respiratory disorders.
- Daily ayurvedic massage or Abhyangam with warm oil, followed up with a warm shower can work wonders in clearing up the respiratory tract.
- Vasaka is an ayurvedic herb which has anti-inflammatory, expectorant properties. A concoction of Vasaka leaves can help clear any mucous in the lungs or throat. In addition, it provides relief from cough and cold when consumed regularly.
- Triphala can be used for gargling daily. This is because Triphala is composed of 3 powerful herbs which have a healing effect and help maintain health of the upper respiratory tract.
By following these ayurvedic practices, it is possible to keep the lungs healthy and functioning properly. However, always consult an ayurvedic doctor to provide a holistic treatment plan.