TACKLING INFLAMED SINUSES WITH AYURVEDA
Sinusitis is a common affliction affecting millions of people every year. It is a result of numerous factors, both external and internal. According to Ayurveda, kapha and pitta body types are predisposed to be affected by sinus more so than vata body type. However, the causes may vary. Some occurrences of inflamed sinuses are a result of allergies to certain external elements such as pollen or dust, and sometimes, sinusitis is a result of a weakened immune system.
Sinuses start off with symptoms of a regular cold, and slowly progress to show more symptoms such as:
- Runny nose
- Post-nasal drip
- Discoloured nasal discharge
- Frontal headache
- Low grade fever
- Sore throat
Ayurvedic healing methods can be used to improve immunity and decrease allergic reaction. It also helps keep the nose clean and functioning effectively. Below are a few herbal remedies and ayurvedic tips to prevent and treat inflamed sinuses.
- Avoid consumption of cold foods or drinks if you are susceptible to sinus infections.
- Always ensure your head is covered when heading out into a cold environment.
- Eat warm, soothing food which is easy to digest. This is important particularly for kapha body types to prevent nasal congestion.
- Hot and dry foods are good for health, however, add a dash of olive oil, ghee or butter to make the food easier to digest and warm the body inside out.
- Limit your water consumption immediately after a meal. Rather than gulp down large quantities of water in one go, sip warm water throughout the day. The frequency is as important as the quantity when it comes to hydration, according to Ayurveda.
- Drink herbal teas made of ginger, tulsi, and soups such as lentil soup throughout the day. Season these with abundant black pepper to aid loosening of mucous and prevent sinus inflammation.
- Practice pranayama This allows the nostrils to expel any dust or pollutants, keeping the nasal path clear and clean. This helps prevent sinusitis.
- Use a neti pot to rinse the nasal cavities and rid them of any mucous. This must be done carefully, following precise instructions for the best results.
- Warm some mustard oil or sesame oil and put a few drops in each nostril. Breathe in deeply and spit out any oil which comes into your throat. Do this every morning or after every meal to keep your nasal cavities clean and healthy.
- Add eucalyptus oil to boiling hot water and inhale the steam. This helps loosen any phlegm and allows the body to sweat out any toxins. It helps clear the sinuses almost immediately.
- Add turmeric to your food. This is a great way to reduce congestion, inflammation and allergic tendencies.
Always consult an ayurvedic doctor for the best Ayurvedic regimen to treat your illnesses.