COUGH RELIEF THE AYURVEDIC WAY
Cough is a common symptom of many underlying conditions. However, in most instances, it is the body’s way of expelling phlegm, pollutants and harmful microbes from the chest, lungs and throat. Coughs can be chronic or mild depending on the severity of the infection. In some cases, it is the result of allergies or harmful toxins in the air entering the respiratory tract. Ayurveda specifies a number of ways to alleviate coughing.
- Drink warm water throughout the day to stay hydrated and keep the throat moist. This helps relieve coughing temporarily.
- Gargle with saline solution twice a day to help loosen and remove phlegm and mucus which is accumulated in the airway.
- Drink an ayurvedic tea made with basil, ginger, black pepper, cloves, green and black cardamom, fennel seeds and honey. This helps provide immense relief from a severe cough.
- Turmeric is great for coughs. Drink golden milk daily to prevent coughs. Turmeric can also be added to food to boost immunity.
- Ginger juice with honey is another great ayurvedic remedy for coughs.
- Cinnamon with honey can also be taken everyday to soothe the throat and expel any toxins.
- Chew licorice sticks to reduce the frequency of coughing and calm the infection.
- Chew tulsi leaves throughout the day to control coughs.
- Massage sesame oil on your chest followed by an intense steaming to relieve the respiratory system of mucus.
- Consume warm ghee which is prepared with expectorants such as licorice, cherry bark, which are potent ayurvedic herbs.
- Soak almonds overnight and make them into a paste with butter. This is a great ayurvedic tip to soothe coughing.
- Steam inhalation with eucalyptus is great for calming cough and purging the respiratory tract.
- Take a few mint leaves and keep them in your mouth without chewing. This will slowly help relieve dry cough.
Having a cough can be extremely disruptive to day to day activities. Curb it at the start with these simple ayurvedic treatments and experience great relief. Always consult an ayurvedic doctor before administering any ayurvedic medicines.