HARITAKI IN AYURVEDA
Haritaki is a renowned herb used in Ayurveda. It is a rasayana, which rejuvenates the body. Haritaki is also one of the major constituents of the potent ayurvedic formulation, Triphala. Haritaki has many health benefits and uses. The predominant taste of Haritaki is ‘astringent’. It has a heating property and helps balance the three doshas.
HARITAKI AND THE SEASONS
Haritaki must not be taken by itself, but rather needs to be consumed alongside an anupama, or carrier. This makes it easy for digestion and ensures the effectiveness as well. Below are the best anupama choices according to the season as prescribed by Ayurveda.
- In monsoon, Haritaki can be taken with rock salt.
- In fall, Haritaki must be consumed with sugar.
- Before the onset of winter, take Haritaki with dry ginger.
- During winter, it should be consumed with long pepper.
- In the spring season, eat Haritaki with honey for the best results.
- In summer, it is best taken with jaggery.
PROPERTIES OF HARITAKI
- Reno protective
- Haritaki can be made into a thick paste. This can then be applied topically for wounds or swellings and even to clean cuts or open sores.
- Haritaki paste is useful for many skin ailments.
- Haritaki, when ingested, has a potent strengthening effect on the nervous system.
- It also improves cognitive ability and brain function when consumed regularly.
- Haritaki can be used to boost eye, ear and nasal health. It is great for maintaining healthy and functioning sense organs.
- It has a laxative effect which makes it great for usage in regulating bowels. It also helps prevent constipation.
- Haritaki can be used in different forms according to Ayurveda to treat different gastrointestinal issues. It can bulk up stools and help with diarrhea.
- It is useful to improve cardiac health and improve blood circulation.
- It keeps the kidneys functioning normally and regulates uterine health.
- Haritaki also has potent diuretic properties.
- It can also be used to break a fever, making it effective in treating the symptoms of many diseases.
- It can be used effectively to treat hemorrhoids.
- Haritaki can be consumed regularly to prevent bloating and gastritis.
- Haritaki soothes the throat, making it a great medicinal element to treat cough, cold and hiccups.
Always consult an ayurvedic doctor before incorporating Haritaki into your ayurvedic diet.