AYURVEDA FOR THE MIND
Ayurveda is a holistic healing science, which has been in practice for centuries. The basis of Ayurveda lies in treating people as a whole, with the body, mind and spirit in alignment. This involves looking into the various aspects of every individual, such as body type, mental constitution and any diseases or ailments they might be suffering from.
According to Ayurveda, the body has a specific dosha type. It can either be of vata, pitta or kapha dosha. Some people have characteristics of 2 doshas and some even exhibit qualities of all 3 and are said to be of tridoshic type.
Similar to body types, the mind also has aspects to it called gunas. The 3 gunas are sattva, rajas and tamas. Sattva is the point of ultimate mental peace. Rajas and tamas represent tiredness, anxiety and must be kept working in unison to attain sattva. Just like the doshas, it is important to keep them in balance as well. This boosts mental health and improves physical health and wellbeing. By keeping the doshas and gunas in balance, the body and mind work together harmoniously to increase prana or life force. This boosts quality of life and promotes peace, good health and overall wellness.
- Yoga and pranayama are key to increasing sattva in the body. This must be done everyday to boost the positive benefits.
- Consume only sattvic foods. A sattvic diet not only helps digestion and lessens the load on the liver and kidneys, but also promotes good moods and vitality.
- Maintaining a regular sleep cycle is essential to giving the necessary rest for the mind. A calm and relaxed mind performs better than an anxiety ridden hyper one.
- Ayurveda has a variety of adaptogenic herbs such as Brahmi, Amalaki, Shankhapushpi which can boost mental health.
- Ayurvedic medicines such as Chyawanprash are also very effective in maintaining the gunas.
- Ayurvedic treatments such as Abhyangam can be done at home regularly for good mental health. Other therapies such as Shirodhara, Nasyam, and Panchakarma can be done at an ayurvedic centre for best results.
- Always be aware of every activity you do. Breathe mindfully. Eat consciously. Sleep restfully.
- Practice a little meditation every night before you fall asleep.
If you ever feel out of balance or the need of help to help change your lifestyle, Ayurveda can help. Consult an ayurvedic doctor for the best ways to change your life for the better by following ayurvedic principles for holistic healing and wellbeing.