AYURVEDIC TIPS FOR WOMEN
Ayurveda is a holistic healing science which provides numerous healthy practices. It also recommends several herbs and spices which have been shown to have positive effects on the body, mind and soul. Women, in particular, have specific needs which are elaborated in Ayurveda. Issues due to hormones, problems in the menstruation cycle, PCOS, pregnancy, can all be made easier to handle by following ayurvedic principles. Below are a few ayurvedic tips for women for wellness and wellbeing.
- Menstrual cramps can be excruciating for some women. Yoga can greatly help relieve the pain. Poses such as bow pose, camel pose, fish pose and cobra pose can ease the discomfort.
- Another tip for the days of menstruation is to eat wholesome healthy food. Avoid fried, oily and spicy food. This helps prevent bloating and constipation.
- Indian yam and kichari is a great ayurvedic food for constipation. It helps add fiber to the diet and eases bowel movements.
- Bhringraj oil is great for reducing hair fall and preventing premature greying.
- PCOS is usually a result of unbalanced pitta in the body. Switching to a sattvic diet with regular yoga and exercise is a great way to reduce the symptoms.
- During periods, it is a great idea to perform a gentle massage using warm oil in the abdomen and back region. This can soothe the body.
- Cooling spices such as carom seeds, cumin and asafoetida can be added to food.
- Menopausal women should pay attention to their diet. Curb all unhealthy, processed and packaged food. Replace them with fresh fruits, nuts, vegetables, home cooked lentils, kichari and other such easily digestible dishes.
- Hot flashes and dryness can be alleviated by practicing pranayama
- Regular massages or Abhyangam with warm oil can drastically cut down pain in joints which can occur with age in women.
- Hibiscus tea is a great addition to evening time. It cools down the body and can help prevent mood swings caused by hormonal imbalance.
- Licorice tea made with the roots can help relax the muscles, thereby preventing tension and pain in the uterus during menstruation.
- Shatavari is an important herb to support and maintain a healthy reproductive system in women.
When dealing with other ailments, always consult an ayurvedic doctor to incorporate the right ayurvedic lifestyle, medicines and diet for your body type.