LOOKING AFTER AGNI FOR GOOD HEALTH
Agni is the fire of life, according to Ayurveda. It helps the body function normally, and keeps every organ delivering to the best of its ability. The foundation of wellness lies in maintaining agni health. For this reason, it is absolutely essential to incorporate healthy agni boosting practices into life. Agni works in different ways in the body. The power and effectiveness of it is defined by the diet you partake, the habits you follow, and the medicines you ingest. Over indulgence, lack of routine can all cause serious imbalance of the agni. This is not the only side effect, and the level of ama or toxins in the body also increase. If there is an excess of ama, it acts as a retardant of agni, resulting in numerous health problems which can crop up in different ways. This is why Ayurveda always looks at digestive health as the way to cure most ailments. A buildup of ama can also have a dampening effect on normal body functions and can also result in overall sluggishness and an inability to stay active. The signs of ama accumulation are very clear in most cases. In today’s world of junk food and preservative laden ingredients, ama is always on the edge, waiting to stick to the body. When agni is out of balance, there are a few ways to help the body heal, and stimulate the agni.
BUILDING DIGESTIVE FIRE
- When eating a meal, aim for satisfaction and not stuffed. This is a great way to quench the digestive fire but not smother it.
- Always eat 3 meals a day at regularly spaced intervals. Do not nibble on snacks or junk all day. This gives the body enough time to digest and burn fat, and carbohydrates.
- Eat your last meal well before bedtime. This gives time for the meal to be completely broken down before the body rests, which can prevent any accumulation of undigested residual ama.
- Feel hunger. This one is important. The more hunger you feel, the stronger your agni. Don’t overstuff food, and let your body be the indicator guiding you on how much to eat, and when to eat. Do not eat out of boredom.
- Eat living, healthy foods. The body has a microbiome which is thriving with necessary bacteria. Gut health is vital to good agni balance. Always partake enough probiotics and fresh, healthy, cooked foods for good agni stimulation.
- Any ama which has stagnated in the body can be removed by regular cleansing. Go for panchakarma every few months to completely detox, and do smaller, simpler detox therapies at home as well. This includes ayurvedic practices such as yoga, which makes you sweat, herbal steam bath, and so on.
- Get enough sleep. Sleeping is the best way to help the body heal and rebuild itself. Undoing the toxic effects of ama is only possibly by getting enough sleep.
- Remove all harmful junk food from your diet. This includes cutting down on caffeine habits, drinking alcohol and smoking. This will relieve the stress on the digestive system, allowing the agni to grow and stay stable.
HELPING THE BODY DETOX
- Sweating is an important way to detox the body. Stimulation of muscles promotes better lymph movement, which helps remove any toxins.
- Garshana or dry brushing, is another great way to promote lymphatic movement. It also helps achieve clear and glowing skin.
- Drinking water is the best, proven way to flush out ama. Hydration is key to keeping the agni or digestive fire active. Ayurveda recommends sipping warm water throughout the day.
Follow these steps for better agni health and overall well-being. Ayurveda helps make your life and lifestyle healthier and happier.