BENEFITS OF AYURVEDIC FOOT MASSAGE
Ayurveda believes that the feet are the foundation of the entire body. There are several marma points in the feet which can stimulate various organs and nerves for improved functioning. An intense ayurvedic foot massage also proves to be extremely beneficial for mental and physical health.
Based on the dosha type of the individual, the right massage oil is chosen. Sesame oil and ghee are the most commonly used. The foot is slathered in a generous amount of oil before the massage. This is because the oils have a detoxifying effect and help remove ama from the body. Following this, a deep massage of the feet is done. This can go on for about 30 minutes to an hour. The massage stimulates all the marma points and can be deeply relaxing as well. There are several health benefits to regular foot massage or padabhyangam as it is known according to Ayurveda.
- Helps relieve stiffness of the feet, ankles and legs. Enhances smooth mobility.
- Treats dryness of skin in the legs and provides nourishment to the feet.
- Boosts eyesight and hearing capacity.
- Improves blood circulation in the body and increases blood flow.
- Prevents cracked or dried heels which can cause pain.
- Stimulates the nervous system.
- Aids in better health of the bones, joints, ligaments and muscles in the feet and legs.
- Helps with faster muscle recovery.
- Relaxes the central nervous system.
- Calms and rejuvenates the mind, body and soul thereby helping treat mental issues such as anxiety, stress and depression.
- Improves quality of sleep and provides deep relaxation.
- Balances vata dosha in the body and maintains body temperature.
- Cures headaches.
- Boosts immunity.
- Fatigue and extreme tiredness can be treated with a foot massage.
- Helps purge toxins from the body.
- Prevents many foot diseases.
- Reduces hypertension.
- Helps manage restless leg syndrome.
A foot massage can be done at home, or as a part of a full body massage, Abhyangam. It is a great way to provide a boost of energy and rejuvenation without spending too much time.