AYURVEDIC CARE FOR HANDS AND FEET
Hands and feet are extremely important to daily life but are often overlooked. This is because of the hyper busy lifestyle of today which does not allow much time to take care of every part of the body. Ayurveda recognizes the vital importance of well-cared for hands and feet and has a number of ways to keep them healthy.
According to Ayurveda, feet are connected to all parts and organs in the body. The stimulation of various pressure points in the feet can ease aches and help manage ailments other body parts. The primary working methodology here is activating the nerve endings. Nerve endings are highly sensitive. For this reason, it is important to pamper the feet, and ensure they are moisturized, clean and healthy.
Hands are just as important. They perform a variety of functions every day. The skin behind the palms is extremely thin and often ages quicker than the rest of the body. Ayurveda provides ways to keep them youthful and nourished. The excessive daily use of hands means they require special attention to stay clean and hydrated.
- Apply some oil on your hands and allow it to soak for a period of time. You can even cover your hands with breathable cotton gloves for a few hours for intense hydration. You can replace this with a mixture of almond oil and buttermilk and leave it on overnight as well. Wash off to experience soft and supple hands.
- Foot massage is key to good health. Take some time every week to gently massage the feet. Use sesame oil to cool down the body and moisturize your soles. Castor oil can also be used. This has the additional benefit of promoting better sleep and relaxation.
- Ensure you have feet to ground time daily. This means taking off your shoes or slippers and allowing the feet to experience the earth. This promotes feelings of wellbeing and improves connection to the world around us.
- A foot bath with essential oils is another ayurvedic way to relax. It also stimulates better circulation and prevents fungal infection in the toes or nails. Do this regularly for better feelings of rest and relaxation. It also relieves stress and anxiety.
- Hand massage also works wonders for the various tiny bones. It relieves any stress or tightness while relaxing the muscles. Do this regularly for good results.
Consult an ayurvedic doctor for the best ways to incorporate Ayurveda into your life.