AYURVEDA AND ESSENTIAL OILS
Aromatherapy is a word which is closely linked to Ayurveda. The use of oils which have the essences of various herbs, flowers and so on is a common practice in various aspects of Ayurveda. This is called aromatherapy in modern times and has multifaceted benefits which make it important in mental and physical health. The 3 doshas: vata, pitta and kapha can be calmed and brought to balance by using specific combinations of essential oils. The aromas uplift moods, open breathing canals, and stimulate the body on a primal level.
Ayurveda makes use of essential oils in a variety of ways. They are used in the concentrated form to awaken the senses and create specific responses in the body. This includes essential oils such as jasmine which can be applied to the temples in order to have deep sleep. They can also be used in diluted forms to massage the body and in skin treatments.
Each dosha can be balanced by using specific essential oils.
Vata dosha – bergamot, orange, vanilla
Kapha dosha – cardamom, saffron, rosemary, camphor
Pitta dosha – lavender, jasmine, mint, sandalwood
By using these oils in pulse points in the body, the whole mind and body relax and awaken to experience calm and peace. This stimulates better respiration, circulation and lowering of blood pressure as well.
Below are a few essential oils and what they can be used for according to Ayurveda.
- Orange essential oil accelerates metabolism, nourishes hair and skin and strengthens the immune system.
- Lavender essential oil reduces stress, anxiety and depression. It also promotes better quality of sleep, increases attention and reduces fatigue.
- Rose essential oil relaxes the mind and nervous system. It improves cardiac activity as well. Headaches can be easily cured with rose oil.
- Sandalwood essential oil boosts the immune system. It also stimulates the mind creatively, improves respiratory function and has antiseptic properties as well.
- Almond oil improves nervous function, and boosts blood circulation. It is a great oil for ayurvedic massages.
- Jasmine essential oil can be used to treat eczema and other skin issues. It relieves tension, improves respiration and enhances the nervous system.
There are numerous other essential oils which are used in Ayurveda. Consult an ayurvedic doctor to find the best one for your needs.