AYURVEDA FOR TINNITUS
Tinnitus is a persistent ringing sound which occurs in the ears and can usually cause extreme mental stress. The continual sound is disturbing to the mind and can make it difficult to concentrate and focus on tasks at hand. Tinnitus is not due to an actual ringing sound, but it is not psychological as well. Ayurveda postulates that it is a result of Vata imbalance in the body. This results in unhealthy auditory canals which might result in Tinnitus. However, Tinnitus can be kept at bay by following a few ayurvedic remedies.
- Since this disorder is caused by a Vata imbalance in the body, it is advisable to consume a Vata balancing diet. This includes sweet, sour and salty foods. Warm foods are preferred and spices like clove, cinnamon, ginger, garlic and cumin can be added to the food. By adhering to this diet, the body regains balance of doshas and can calm tinnitus and keep it from recurring. If possible, a sattvic diet can also be followed to maintain good health.
- Karna Purana is an ayurvedic practice which can be done regularly at home to ease tinnitus. In this procedure, warm oil is poured into the ear canals. Sesame oil is typically used, and usually herbs or spices are steeped in it for further benefit. Ginger is a great choice for Vata imbalance. The warm oil is slowly poured into the ear and allowed to sit for a few minutes. It is then removed using cotton and the ear is gently cleaned. The earlobes are massaged softly. This procedure helps to remove excessive earwax which may be accumulated in the ears. It also gets rid of any impurities or toxins. Tinnitus can be easily relieved by following this regularly.
- The nasal cavity is closely linked to the auditory canal. For this reason, Nasyam can be done to provide relief from tinnitus. Nasyam involves pouring drops of warm sesame oil into the nostrils. This purges all ama or toxins in the sinus cavities. It is also intensely soothing and can help relieve the symptoms of tinnitus. This can be done easily at home as well.
- Oil pulling is another ayurvedic home remedy to help treat tinnitus. Simply hold a tablespoon for warm oil in the mouth and swish for about 10 minutes. This removes all harmful substances in the oral cavity. In addition, it clears the sinuses as well and relieves any pain. The ears feel lighter post this practice.
- Tinnitus, being caused due to Vata imbalance, can be treated by calming the body and mind. This can be done by the most important ayurvedic practice of Abhyangam. Massage the head gently with warm medicated oil. This relieves any pressure and calms the mind. Vata is reduced with regular massage and can clear up tinnitus and any other ear related issues as well.
Always consult an ayurvedic doctor for the best solution to your ailments.