AYURVEDA FOR TAN REMOVAL
High summer sun means hard to remove tan. This can be annoying for a number of reasons. In addition to the fact that overexposure to the sun can lead to skin cancer, in some cases, what might appear to be a tan can also be mild sunburns. Ayurveda has a number of natural ways to detan and soothe any damaged skin.
- Coconut water or coconut milk can be used to wash the face. Coconut water is rich in skin-friendly ingredients and amino acids which make the skin supple and smooth. It also has antioxidant properties which can reduce the damage. Apply it on the affected area daily to see improvement. Coconut milk is extremely hydrating and can repair the dryness and roughness caused by sun exposure.
- Dabbing milk on the affected areas can be extremely helpful as well. The lactic acid in the milk helps increase cell turnover and revitalizes the skin. It also nourishes and repairs any damage.
- Ayurveda prescribes Udwarthanam or exfoliation using natural herbal powders. This helps rid the surface layer of dull and dry skin cells to reveal the newer skin underneath. Make a mixture of Triphala powder and Yastimadhu in Coconut Oil. Use this to gently exfoliate the tanned areas. Leave it on for a few minutes and rinse off.
- Ayurveda also suggests using a lepa or facepack to remove the tan. This involves making a mixture of dried herbs and applying it on the face. It penetrates deeply and works to undo the damage caused by the sun. Below are a few lepa recipes described by Ayurveda.
- Yashtimadhu, Cinnamon and Kumari.
- Turmeric, Chandanam and Kesar.
- Hibiscus, Amla and Honey.
- Shatavari, Gotu Kola and Coconut Oil.
- Aloe vera and Coconut Oil can be used as moisturizers for skin damaged by suntan. This provides deep hydration which can make skin cells plump and healed.
- Rose water can be used as a hydrosol to spritz the face during the day to prevent the tan from intensifying. It is also cooling and hydrating, keeping the face fresh and moist.
- Applying cucumber slices on the face also helps with repairing damaged skin. The blisters caused by sun burn are immediately soothed and healed.