AYURVEDA FOR CONSTIPATION
Constipation is a major issue faced by numerous individuals. This is because unhealthy diet and poor lifestyle choices have become the norm. Constipation starts out as an uncomplicated issue which in most cases usually resolves itself. However, a lack of change in food habits and lifestyle can result in recurring constipation which further leads to more problems. Ayurveda believes that healthy digestion is key to overall wellbeing. There are numerous ayurvedic ways to prevent and cure constipation and ensure proper digestive function.
- Constipation is caused by an aggravated vata dosha. For this reason, it is important to consume foods which will pacify it. This means eating only warm and cooked foods. Cold, raw foods must be avoided entirely.
- Good fibre content is the most important aspect of treating constipation. Eat foods which are rich in fibre such as green leafy vegetables, apples, bananas, figs and oranges.
- Not all spices are appropriate to treat constipation. However, asafoetida, garlic, turmeric and cumin can be used while cooking. They soothe the stomach and aid in better digestion and thereby better stools.
- Warm water and warm soups are absolutely essential. They help soften stools and prevent constipation. Sipping water throughout the day is also important. It helps keep the body hydrated which is important for healthy digestion.
- Drink a warm glass of milk with some ghee mixed in every night. This helps purge the stomach of any ama and also lubricates the gastrointestinal tract.
- In some cases, it is advisable to use natural laxatives as prescribed by Ayurveda. Roasted fennel seeds and castor oil are two options which provide immediate relief.
- Constipation is also inherently linked to body metabolism. A passive lifestyle with not enough movement and exercise can result in poor health. Yoga is a great way to get the body working.
- Panchakarma is a great ayurvedic treatment which can cure constipation and detox the body entirely. It must be done under the guidance of a skilled ayurvedic professional.
- There are certain ayurvedic formulations which can help ease the issue. Triphala is the best one for constipation and helps balance vata as well.