AYURVEDA FOR HOLIDAY TRAVEL
It’s holiday season! This means many people will be traveling home to be with family, or going on short vacations with loved ones. With the ongoing pandemic, even short travels and visits to friends can be quite tiring and result in fatigue or anxiety. For this reason, it is especially important to follow an ayurvedic routine to stay grounded and remain in good spirits while navigating through the holiday travels. Below is a list of small ayurvedic tips which can make a huge difference in improving your mood and help in staying healthy
- Before traveling, eat light. Kitchari is the best soothing food for the stomach. It is also great at keeping agni kindled and can help keep any gastrointestinal issues at bay.
- Drink warm water This will keep the body from getting dehydrated and tired.
- If you are flying, administer nasya before the journey. The warm oil in the nose will soothe the nasal passages and help prevent dryness, itching and redness.
- Self-abhyangam with some warm oil is a great way to relax the muscles and mind before embarking on a journey, however short it is. It rejuvenates the body and drives away all stress and anxiety.
- Doing some simple yoga is also a great way to de-stress. It stretches all tight muscles and awakens the mind.
- Fill a small eyedropper with rosewater. This is a great ayurvedic remedy for soothing dry, irritated eyes which might be caused by lack of sleep.
- Carry a vial of lavender oil to calm yourself and sleep better during travel.
- Avoid all fatty heavy foods, alcohol and caffeine before any trip.
- Drink herbal teas to settle the stomach in preparation for the journey.
- Carry a snack bag with healthy treats like granola, nuts, and dried fruits.
- Pranayama is another great ayurvedic technique which helps calm and relax the body.
- Consume Triphala regularly to regulate bowel movements and keep the stomach healthy.