THE GOLDEN ROOT- TURMERIC
Turmeric is a powerful ayurvedic spice which is used commonly in Indian households in their everyday cooking. It is a part of most curries and delivers a vibrant yellow colour to any dish and, a subtle yet delicious flavor. This spice is more than just a taste and colour additive to food. It has numerous potent medicinal benefits, which make it one of the most important ayurvedic spices to add to your diet.
The medicinal effects of this spice come from the presence of a compound known as curcumin. Curcumin is a great anti-inflammatory and has powerful antioxidant properties. Western science has caught up to the benefits of adding turmeric to one’s daily diet only in recent times and this is resulting in the sudden and increasing revelations about the benefits of this miraculous spice. It has been found to help treat and cure arthritis, alleviate symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and even treat cancer. With such immense curative properties, turmeric is a great spice to incorporate into your life.
How to add turmeric to your diet:
- Add turmeric to your food as a flavor enhancing and health promoting topping. This can be done to most dishes ranging from simple soups to roasted vegetables. In addition to adding its unique taste and providing great health benefits to food, it also renders a yellow shade to the food which makes it look earthy and delicious. Next time you whip up some broth, add some turmeric and tuck in.
- Consuming a paste of honey and turmeric is another way to add turmeric to your diet. This is a common ayurvedic remedy used to ease sore throats and improve overall respiratory health. Eating a spoon of turmeric with just enough honey to turn it into a delicious paste, every night before bed, is a great way to up your turmeric intake, and even promotes overall mental wellbeing.
- Golden milk is another ayurvedic remedy which has countless medicinal effects. Turmeric in warm milk, with a dash of pepper, can totally prepare you for the day ahead. In addition, it boosts immunity, regulates digestion and improves respiratory health. Drink a glass of this daily and you are sure to feel active and refreshed.
- Turmeric/curcumin supplements are another great way to get a concentrated dose of the magic spice without too much effort. It brings with it all the health benefits in a single capsule.
- Turmeric is known for its antimicrobial effects which makes it the perfect medicine for cuts and scrapes. Got a papercut? Don’t worry! Put some turmeric on it. Sliced your hand while chopping? Turmeric. It promotes faster healing and keeps the wound clean.
Truly deserving of the title “golden spice”, try adding moreof this great spice into your regular diet to avail all the health advantages. And, the refreshing taste is a bonus too.