GHEE FOR SKIN
Ghee has long since been used in Ayurveda as a part of numerous healthy recipes including kichori. Ghee is also used as a carrier in many ayurvedic medicines as it helps the body absorb foods better. However, ghee is not only just healthy for internal consumption. According to Ayurveda, it can be used topically on the skin to treat numerous issues as well. The skin is the largest organ in the human body and absorbs everything applied on it. This means the benefits of ghee would directly show when used externally as well. Below is a list of ways ghee can be used externally to heal, according to Ayurveda.
- Ghee is fatty and nourishing. For this reason, it can be used on dry, chapped lips as a lip balm. It heals cracked lips and has an extremely healing and moisturizing effect.
- Knees and elbows are prone to dryness and wrinkles. Ghee can help reduce this by providing intense moisturization to these affected regions. It can also be used on dry patches to renew and rejuvenate the skin.
- Heels are another part of the body which are prone to cracking and dryness. This can easily be healed by applying ghee liberally to your feet and wearing thick socks over them. Overnight, the ghee helps heal and soothe the dry skin.
- Skip the hand creams and use ghee instead. It provides intense hydration for the skin and leaves your hands baby soft. You can also use ghee as a way to soften cuticles to do an ‘at-home manicure’.
- Ghee can also be used on your hair. Simply mix it with some olive oil or coconut oil and apply it on your hair. Leave it on for an hour and wash off for silky smooth and tangle free hair.
- Replace your in shower moisturizers with a dash of ghee. It traps the moisture in your skin and leaves it feeling supple and soft. The fat content in ghee helps nourish the skin and is deeply luxuriant.
- Use ghee for babies with diaper rash. Ghee hastens the healing process and cools down the skin as well. It also reduces any itching or flaking and is extremely safe for use.
A mixture of turmeric and ghee can be used as a salve for wounds or broken skin. Simply apply it over the injured region for fast mending of skin, and to prevent any scarring.