DINACHARYA / DAILY REGIMEN IN AYURVEDA
The global pandemic has brought life as we know it to a halt. In such times, it is important to establish regular routines and be mindful of our habits so that our bodies and minds can remain healthy and function harmoniously. Ayurveda, the science of healing with nature backed by 5000 years of history, does not just mean therapies and unattainable concoctions. Ayurveda is a way of life, a lifestyle of practicing natural and organic techniques to achieve overall wellness and to feel good every day. It may sound daunting, but once you fully immerse yourself into the ayurvedic way of living, the substantial positive changes you experience will be reason enough to make Ayurveda a key aspect of life.
Here is a list of Dinacharya/Daily Ayurvedic Practices to add to your routine:
Most of us start the day by brushing our teeth. Follow this up by doing oil pulling, which involves swishing pure coconut or sesame oil around the mouth and spitting it out. This is found to increase immunity and deep-cleanse the mouth.
Scraping the tongue is another ayurvedic practice, which is believed to free the taste buds from residue and thereby allow one to taste food in a more accurate manner. It also rids the mouth of any toxins and food waste.
Yoga is a wonderful way to wake up the body, mind and soul and ensure balance of the doshas. Spend half an hour every day following a YouTube yoga lesson, or perform the postures which you prefer and it is sure to set the tone for an active and exciting day ahead. This also acts as a means of keeping the muscles in use while at home.
- Ayurveda has always emphasized the importance of eating one big meal a day, preferably lunch. This is because the digestive fire is believed to be extremely potent in the afternoon. Breakfast and dinner can be lighter, more easily digestible meals.
- Since most of us spend our time glued to screens. It is important to take some valuable time off, and perform basic breathing exercises or Pranayama. Inhale deeply from the abdomen and exhale repeatedly a few times a day, to feel an immediate sense of relaxation.
- A professional ayurvedic massage is sure to cause immense stress relief and rejuvenation. However, self-massage using oils, Abhyangam, can be performed daily to improve sense of well-being and allow the body to feel some relief.
- Drinking warm water several times a day is another simple, yet highly effective ayurvedic remedy, with numerous positive effects. It allows digestive regulation, easier bowel movements and improves overall sense of stability in bodily functions. Warm water mixed with honey and ginger is also therapeutic and has numerous benefits including boosting immunity.
- Sweating or Swedana, is a method of deep cleansing the body by removal of toxins through the pores. Indulge in a hot shower, steam your face and body, and allow it to sweat to aid the detoxifying process. Don’t forget to drink plenty of water, to prevent dehydration and to flush out any impurities in your system.
- Ayurveda also provides methods for indulging in some soothing and refreshing skin care. Cleanse your face with a nut powder, which acts as a scrub, removing all impurities and dead skin cell. Follow up by applying an oil onto your face and deeply massaging it. This allows all excess water to drain, reducing puffiness and bringing out a natural glow to the skin. Finish up your facial session with a few sprites of rose water, to add that beautiful fragrance and wake skin up for the day.
- Ayurveda always recommends getting the right amount of sleep every night. Don’t skimp on the hours you get by staring at a phone or laptop, but instead, allow the body to rest and recuperate from the activities of the day.
All these will surely enhance your lifestyle for the better and leave you feeling refreshed and energized. Ayurveda has tremendous effect in keeping individuals fit, healthy, active and in touch with mental, bodily and spiritual well-being. Consult with professional ayurvedic practitioners for a more individually tailored ayurvedic regimen, and behold the positive changes it offers. Ayurveda also has numerous remedies and cures for different ailments, visit Ayush to get yourself evaluated and follow the instructions provided by the practitioners.