AYURVEDA FOR FERTILITY
When it comes to fertility, Ayurveda considers a number of factors which influence this. The first of these is the seed. This refers to the sperm or ovum which are the vital cells required for procreation. The health of the seed is the most important aspect to take into consideration. According to Ayurveda, healthy ojas is necessary for healthy seed. Ojas is the essence of vitality and immunity. Ojas is the force which governs a happy and healthy mind and body. Below are a few ways to keep the Ojas replenished and allow for fruitful seed.
- Spend a lot of time outdoors.
- Take some time every day to focus on positive emotions and mindfulness. This can also be in the form of meditation.
- Do Abhyanga daily for a few minutes in order to get the body stimulated and refreshed.
- Vata must be kept in balance for healthy ojas. This can be done by keeping warm, reducing screen time and sticking to a routine.
- Nourishing food such as milk, almonds, honey, dates, ghee can all improve ojas in the body.
- Avoid drugs and alcohol for keeping the body light and free of toxins.
After the seed, comes the body itself. According to Ayurveda, metabolic waste can get stored in the body in the form of ama or toxins. It is absolutely important to get rid of these toxins in order to provide a healthy kshetra for the seed. Brain fog, poor appetite, malaise, are all symptoms of excess ama in the body. Detoxing the body can be done in a few simple ways.
- Consume predominantly warm, well-cooked and properly spiced food.
- Scrape your tongue every morning to rid any accumulation of ama.
- Drink warm lemon honey water first thing in the morning.
- Sip warm water throughout the day to allow for easy expel of ama.
- Reduce mental stress and strain through pranayama, yoga and meditation.
In addition to this, it is important to supplement the body for the huge changes it has to undergo while bringing new life into the world. This starts even before conception. Below are a few ways to do this.
- Drink warm herbal teas to soothe and nourish the body while also enhancing hydration.
- Healthy fats such as ghee, avocados, and some amount of full day dairy must be incorporated into the diet.
- Root vegetables and grains must be well cooked and consumed for proper digestion.
- Iron rich food is an absolute must for improved fertility. This is usually red coloured foods which are hyper rich in iron.
- Include bitter foods in your diet to cleanse and purify the liver. This improves detoxification in the body and promotes better body function.
Always consult an ayurvedic doctor for the best plan for a healthy pregnancy.